Search This Blog

Monday, March 21, 2011

I Have A Pulpit

This used to be my reason for not having a blog, that I have a pulpit.  Of all communication mediums in existence the pulpit uniquely perseveres, always rising up to outlive its pallbearers who pronounce its irrelevance. 

The pulpit is my communication priority.  It is why I live with creative deadlines most every week of my life.  It is why I have a sobering level of influence with more people than I would otherwise.  The pulpit simultaneous elevates and cuts me down to size.  I've gone home on Sunday afternoons with diametrically opposite responses to the same sermon colliding in my mind: some thought it was brilliant, others thought it was boring; some had their confusion clarified, others had their clarity confused.

The pulpit is a source of exhilaration and depression, joy and pain.  It is authoritative vulnerability.  It is both public and personal, glory and folly, a privilege I get to do and something I have to do.  "Who is sufficient for these things? For we are not, like so many, peddlers of God's word, but as men of sincerity, as commissioned by God, in the sight of God we speak in Christ" (2 Corinthians 2:16b-17).

2 comments:

  1. If I ever find you boring I need to reevaluate my reasons for worship.

    I have always appreciated those who were ardent enough to speak the word yet were sober enough to get out of the way. You do a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do have a pulpit, and you use it well. Thank you for that.

    I'm not sure the podium can be tied to a specific location, methodology, or combination of the two. Though I have never thought of "the podium" in the way you're using the word, my initial reaction is that the podium is tied more to each of the offices than to the method of delivery.

    Could podium just be another word for mantle?

    I was happy when you got on Twitter and started blogging specifically because of the tremendous opportunity they offer you. I'm sure that each week you do a tremendous amount of prep work and that you shave a lot from each sermon simply because of time constraints.

    I'm so glad that you're blogging and tweeting because hopefully we'll get to hear even more of what the Lord lays on your heart.

    Thanks for taking the time to do this.

    ReplyDelete